- (Knowledge guided) image processing and its clinical applications
Johan H.C. Reiber received his M.Sc. EE-degree from the Delft University of Technology in 1971 and his M.Sc and Ph.D. from Stanford University, USA in 1975 and 1976, respectively. In 1977, he founded the Division of Image Processing (LKEB) at the Thoraxcenter, Erasmus University in Rotterdam, and continued these activities from 1990 at the Department of Radiology, Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC) in the Netherlands. Since 1995 he has been Professor of Medical Image Processing at the LUMC, and from 1995 until 2005 also a professor of cardiovascular imaging at the Interuniversity Cardiology Institute of the Netherlands (ICIN) in Utrecht. In 2000 he became a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW), Physics faculty, section Technical Sciences.
He is (co)-author of more than 625 scientific papers, and co-author/editor of 15 books. He is editor-in-chief of the International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging, and serves on the Editorial Board of several other journals. In 2004 he became an IEEE Fellow for his contributions to medical image analysis and its applications. Other fellowships include those of the European Society of Cardiology (1988) and the American College of Cardiology (2010).
He is also co-founder and CEO of Medis medical imaging systems bv in Leiden, a global provider of software packages for the quantitative analysis of medical images, in particular of the cardiovascular system.
- Reiber JHC, Serruys PW, Kooijman CJ, Wijns W, Slager CJ, Gerbrands JJ, Schuurbiers JCH, Boer A den, Hugenholtz PG.
Assessment of short-, medium-, and long-term variations in arterial dimensions from computer-assisted quantitation of coronary cineangiograms.
Circulation 71, 1985: 280-8.
- Arntzenius AC, Kromhout D, Barth JD, Reiber JHC, Bruschke AVG, Buis B, Gent CM van, Kempen-Voogd N, Strikwerda S, Velde EA van der.
Diet, Lipoproteins, and the progression of coronary atherosclerosis.
The Leiden Intervention Trial.
N Engl J Med 312, 1985: 805-11.
- Serruys PW, Luijten HE, Beatt KJ, Geuskens R, Feyter PJ de, Brand M van den, Reiber JHC, Katen HJ ten, Es GA van, Hugenholtz PG.
Incidence of restenosis after successful coronary angioplasty: a time-related phenomenon. A quantitative angiographic study in 342 consecutive patients at 1,2,3 and 4 months.
Circulation 77, 1988: 361-71.
- Zijlstra F, Boer MJ de, Hoorntje JCA, Reiffers S, Reiber JHC, Suryapranata H.
A comparison of immediate coronary angioplasty with intravenous streptokinase in acute myocardial infarction.
N Eng J Med 328, 1993: 680-4.
- Stolk J, Zagers R, Vrooman HA, Aarts NJM, Schultze Kool LJ, Dijkman JH, Voorthuisen AE van, Reiber JHC.
Assessment of the progression of emphysema by quantitative analysis of spirometrically-gated CT images.
Eur Respir Rev 1997; 7 (43): 154-8.
- Lelieveldt BPF, Geest RJ van der, Ramze Rezaee M, Bosch JG, Reiber JHC.
Anatomical model matching with fuzzy implicit surfaces for segmentation of thoracic volume scans.
IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 1999; 18 (3): 218-30.
- Mitchell SC, Lelieveldt BPF, Geest RJ van der, Bosch HG, Reiber JHC, Sonka M.
Multistage Hybrid Active Appearance Model Matching: Segmentation of left and right ventricles in cardiac MR images.
IEEE Trans Medical Imaging 2001; 20: 415-23.
- Kaptein BL, Valstar ER, Stoel BC, Rozing PM, Reiber JHC.
A new model-based RSA method validated using CAD models and models from reversed engineering.
J Biomechanics 2003; 36: 873-82.
- Admiraal-Behloul F, Heuvel DMJ van den, Olofsen H, Osch MJP van, Grond J van der, Buchem MA van, Reiber JHC.
Fully automatic segmentation of white matter hyperintensities in MR images of the elderly.
Neuro Image 28; 2005: 607-17.
- Adame IM, Koning PJH de, Lelieveldt BPF, Wasserman BA, Reiber JHC, Geest R van der.
An integrated automated analysis method for quantifying vessel stenosis and plaque burden from carotid MRI images: combined postprocessing of MRA and vessel wall MR.
Stroke 2006; 37: 2162-4.
- Oost E, Koning G, Sonka M, Oemrawsingh PV, Reiber JHC, Lelieveldt BPF.
Automated contour detection in X-ray left ventricular angiograms using multi-view Active Appearance Models and Dynamic Programming.
IEEE Trans Medical Imaging 2006; 25: 1158-71.
- Kaptein BL, Garling EH, Valstar ER, Yang L, Reiber JHC, Nelissen RGHH.
Röntgen stereophotogrammetric analysis: technique and clinical relevance.
J Med Biomech 2008; vol 23, no 5: 337-46.
- Westenberg JJM, Roes SD, Marsan NA, Binnendijk NMJ, Doornbos J, Bax JJ, Reiber JHC, Roos A de, Geest RJ van der.
Mitral valve and tricuspid valve blood flow: accurate quantification with 3D velocity-encoded MR imaging with retrospective valve tracking.
Radiology 2008; 249: 792-800.
- Hamza EA, Mani V, Weinshelbaum KB, Aguiar SH, Taniguchi H, Postley JE, Samber DD, Cohen EI, Stern J, Geest RJ van der, Reiber JHC, Woodward M, Fuster V, Gidding SS, Fayad ZA.
Cross-sectional, prospective study of MRI reproducibility in the assessment of plaque burden of the carotid arteries and aorta.
Nature Clin Practice Cardiovasc Med (2009) 6 (3): 219-28.
Leids Universitair Medisch Centrum
2333 ZA Leiden
Tel: +31 (0) 71 526 3935 (secr.)
2300 RC Leiden