- Research interests include the detection, classification, and quantification of coronary vessels by combining analyses from intravascular ultrasound and computed tomography angiography.
Alexander Broersen is a scientific researcher in the section ‘vascular & molecular imaging’ in the division of image processing. He received his M.Sc. degree in computer science at the University of Twente in 2003 with a thesis entitled “Designing a Virtual Piano Playing Environment”. In the next year, he joined the visualization and 3D user interfaces theme of the Center for Mathematics and Computer Science in Amsterdam. There he performed his Ph.D. research on “Feature visualization in large scale imaging mass spectrometry data” which he defended at Eindhoven University of Technology. In 2008, he started as a post-doctoral researcher at the laboratory for clinical and experimental image processing at the Leiden University Medical Center. His work involves the automatic diagnostic vascular analysis by comparing computed tomography angiography with corresponding intravascular ultrasound datasets.
- M.A. de Graaf, A. Broersen, P.H. Kitslaar, A. de Roos, J. Dijkstra, B.P.F. Lelieveldt, J. W. Jukema, M.J. Schalij, V. Delgado, J.J. Bax, J.H.C. Reiber, J.J. Bax & A.J. Scholte, Automatic quantification and characterization of coronary atherosclerosis with computed tomography coronary angiography: cross-correlation with intravascular ultrasound virtual histology, The International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging, 2013.
- M.J. Boogers, A. Broersen, J.E. van Velzen, F.R. de Graaf, H.M. El-Naggar, P.H. Kitslaar, J. Dijkstra, V. Delgado, E. Boersma, A. de Roos, J.D. Schuijf, M.J. Schalij, J.H.C. Reiber, J.J. Bax & J.W. Jukema, Automated quantification of coronary plaque with computed tomography: comparison with intravascular ultrasound using a dedicated registration algorithm for fusion-based quantification, European Heart Journal, 2012.
- G. Yang, A. Broersen, R. Petr, P. Kitslaar, M. de Graaf, J.H.C. Reiber & J. Dijkstra, Automatic Labeling of Coronary Artery Tree in CCTA Datasets, Computing in Cardiology, 2011.
- G. Yang, P. Kitslaar, M. Frenay, A. Broersen, M.J. Boogers, J.J. Bax, J.H.C. Reiber & J. Dijkstra, Automatic centerline extraction of coronary arteries in coronary computed tomographic angiography, The International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging, 2011.
- Broersen, R. van Liere, A.F.M. Altelaar, R.M.A. Heeren & L.A. McDonnell, Automated, feature-based image alignment for high-Resolution imaging mass spectrometry of large biological samples, Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, volume 19, issue 6, 2008, 823-832.
- Broersen, R. van Liere & R.M.A. Heeren, Zooming in Multi-spectral Datacubes using PCA, Proceedings SPIE / IS&T Symposium on Electronic Imaging, volume 6809, San Jose, California, USA, 2008, 68090C.
- Parametric Visualization of High Resolution Correlated Multi-spectral Features Using PCA, A. Broersen, R. van Liere & R.M.A. Heeren, Proceedings Eurographics / IEEE VGTC Symposium on Visualization, Norrköping, Sweden, 2007, 203-210.
- L.A. Klerk, A. Broersen, I.W. Fletcher, R. van Liere & R.M.A. Heeren, Extended data analysis strategies for high resolution imaging MS: New methods to deal with extremely large image hyperspectral datasets, International Journal of Mass Spectrometry, volume 260, issues 2-3, Imaging Mass Spectrometry Special Issue, 2007, 222-236.
- Broersen & R. van Liere, Feature Based Registration of Multispectral Data-cubes, Proceedings IASTED International Conference on Visualization, Imaging, & Image Processing, Palma de Mallorca, Spain, 2006, 543-548.
- Broersen, R. van Liere & R.M.A. Heeren, Comparing three PCA-based Methods for the 3D Visualization of Imaging Spectroscopy Data, Proceedings IASTED International Conference on Visualization, Imaging, & Image Processing, Benidorm, Spain, 2005, 540-545.
- Broersen & R. van Liere, Transfer Functions for Imaging Spectroscopy Data using Principal Component Analysis, Proceedings Eurographics / IEEE VGTC Symposium on Visualization, Leeds, United Kingdom, 2005, 117-123.
- Broersen & A. Nijholt, Developing a Virtual Piano Playing Environment, Proceedings IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies, Kazan, Russia, 2002, 278-282.
Section Vascular Molecular Imaging
Division of Image Processing (LKEB)
Department of Radiology
Leiden University Medical Center
PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands