Area(s) of interest
Rob G.H.H. Nelissen received his Medical Degree in 1985 at the Leiden University and in 1994 he became Orthopaedic Surgeon. He received his PhD thesis in 1995 at the Leiden University. Supervisors Rozing (Orthopaedics) and Brand (Biostatistics) on Fundamental aspects of the clinical evaluation of total joint prostheses. He did a total joint fellowship in the US (1993 UCLA and University of Ohio). From 1994 until now he was appointed at the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery of the Leiden University Medical Center, first as a staff member and thereafter as associate professor. In September 2005 he was appointed professor in Experimental Orthopaedics and in 2008 professor in Orthopaedic Surgery. In 2006 he became also chairman of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.
As of 2009 adjunct professor at Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada.
As of 2011 he is chairman of the department of Orthopaedics-Rehabilitation-Physiotherapy.
2011: EHLP (European Health and Leadership Program) at INSEAD.
He was awarded with the Anna Foundation Prize in 1996.
Board member of the several national and international societies i.e.:
- Honory member of the Netherlands Society Rheumatoid Arthritis Surgical Society (NERASS)
- President of the European Rheumatoid Arthritis Surgical Society (ERASS)
- Chairman of the scientific Board of the Dutch Implant Register Committee (LROI)
- Delegate European Federation of National Associations of Orthopaedics and Traumatology (EFORT)
- National delegate SICOT (Societe International de Chirurgie Orthopedique et Traumatologie (collaboration Europe and Africa and Asia)
- National delegate for the Orthopaedic Section of the UEMS (Union of European Medical Specialist)
- Treasurer Collegium Chirurgicum Neerlandicum on behalf of Orthopaedic Section training of medical specialists
He also is a member of the Dutch Orthopaedic Society and the European Orthopaedic Research Society, American Academy Orthopaedic Surgeons, Orthopaedic Research Society.
- Member medical ethics committee
- Board of the Medical School and Biomedical Sciences
- Board Medical Delta (LUMC-University Leiden TUDelft – Erasmus MC)
His major Research projects include:
Outcome, Biomechanics and Imaging in Orthopaedics. These include epidemiological studies on cohorts of knee and hip prostheses. A close collaboration with the Technical University of Delft exists.
A network of collaboration on these mobility problems in the elderly (i.e. knee and hip prostheses, osteoporotic fractures) exists within the department of Orthopaedics-Rehabilitation-Physiotherapy and with Geriatrics, Endocrinology and Neurology.
Leiden University Medical Center
2333 ZA Leiden
Tel: (0)71 526 3606
P.O. Box 9600
2300 RC Leiden