The Image-Guided Surgery group at Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC), headed by Dr. Vahrmeijer focuses on safe and efficient clinical translation of image guided surgery applications to improve personalized clinical practice and enhance patient outcome.
Together with the CHDR we join forces in design and conduct of clinical studies both at the LUMC and at the CHDR. The CHDR provides a completely monitored environment for performance of first-in-human studies in healthy volunteers and provides a full range of high quality clinical pharmacological services . At present, several first-in-human studies with NIR fluorescent targeted dyes have been performed at the CHDR in collaboration with the LUMC. The extensive experience with fluorescence imaging in both institutions is of great added value for the performance of a healthy volunteer study with the near fluorescent imaging probes.
Over the past few years, over 600 patients have been included in over 30 clinical trials assessing this new technique in sentinel lymph node mapping in different fields of surgical oncology. Furthermore, tumor imaging using both non-tumor specific and tumor specific near-infrared (NIR) fluorophores in for example liver metastases, pancreatic tumors, parathyroid glands, breast and ovarian cancer was performed clinically.
Clinical NIRF Imaging studies concerning sentinel lymph node (SLN) mapping since 2009
- 4 Breast cancer SLN studies (104 patients)
- 2 Skin cancer SLN studies (26 patients)
- 2 Oropharyngeal carcinoma SLN studies (13 patients)
- 3 Colorectal cancer SLN studies (52 patients)
- 3 Cervical cancer SLN studies (27 patients)
- 3 Vulvar cancer SLN studies (41 patients); ongoing
- 1 Bladder cancer SLN study (14 patients)
- 1 Stomach SLN study (26 patients)
The benefit of using near infrared image guided surgery for the visualization and identification of lymph nodes was shown in 8 different tumor types in over 300 patients.
Clinical NIRF imaging studies concerning tumor identification and identification of vital structures since 2010
- 3 Liver metastases studies (48 patients); ongoing
- 2 Parathyroid adenoma studies (25 patients)
- 1 Pituitary adenoma (11 patients)
- 2 Ureter imaging study (12 patients, one planned for 2016)
- 2 Bile duct imaging study (39 patients); ongoing
- 2 Pancreatic carcinoma studies (14 patients)
- 2 Breast cancer study (27 patients)
- 2 Tumor targeted rectal cancer study (50 patients); ongoing
- 3 Tumor targeted ovarian cancer study (33 patients)
- 1 Tumor-targeted PET/CT imaging in rectal cancer patients after neoadjuvant treatment: planned for 2017
- 1 Tumor-targeted PET/CT imaging in breast cancer patients after neoadjuvant treatment: planned for 2017
- 1 Tumor targeted breast cancer study (21 patients); planned for 2016