Frits R. Rosendaal is professor of Clinical Epidemiology at the Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands, where he chairs the department of Clinical Epidemiology. He studied medicine in Rotterdam and obtained his PhD at Leiden University . His main research interest is cardiovascular disease, with a focus on blood coagulation and obesity. He published over 1100 articles. He designed the Leiden Thrombophilia Study (LETS) and MEGA study, that have been instrumental in the identification of a series of risk factors for thrombosis, such as factor V Leiden and prothrombin 20210A, as well as the NEO-study on obesity-related disorders. He was Chairman of the Netherlands Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (NVTH), Chairman of the Council of the International Society for Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH), and he founded the European Congress on Thrombosis and Haemostasis. He is co-chairman of the Committee on Scientific Integrity of the Leiden University Medical Center and University Leiden, member of the Council of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE), member of the Central Committee on research involving Human Subjects (CCMO) and member of the LERU Policy Group on Scientific Integrity. He is elected fellow of the Royal Academy of Arts and Sciences of the Netherlands (KNAW) as well as the German Academy Leopoldina. He has received the Spinoza Award, the highest prize for science in The Netherlands, as well as a honorary doctorate from the Université Descartes, in Paris.
- Smith NL, Hindorff LA, Heckbert SR, Lemaitre RN, Marciante KD, Rice K, Lumley T, Bis JC, Wiggins KL, Rosendaal FR, Psaty BM. Association of genetic variations with nonfatal venous thrombosis in postmenopausal women. JAMA 2007; 297: 489-498.
- Blom JW, Doggen CJ, Osanto S, Rosendaal FR. Malignancies, prothrombotic mutations, and the risk of venous thrombosis. JAMA 2005; 293: 715-722.
- Cannegieter SC, Rosendaal FR. Clinical factors and recurrent venous thrombotic events. JAMA 2005; 294: 1489-1490.
- Cushman M, Kuller LH, Prentice R, Rodabough RJ, Psaty BM, Stafford RS, Sidney S, Rosendaal FR. Estrogen plus progestin and risk of venous thrombosis. JAMA. 2004; 292: 1573-1580.
- Smith NL, Heckbert SR, Lemaitre RN, Reiner AP, Lumley T, Weiss NS, Larson EB, Rosendaal FR, Psaty BM. Esterified estrogens and conjugated equine estrogens and the risk of venous thrombosis. JAMA 2004; 292: 1581-1587.
- Srámek A, Kriek M, Rosendaal FR. Decreased mortality of ischaemic heart disease among carriers of haemophilia. Lancet 2003; 362: 351-354.
- Tanis BC, van den Bosch MAAJ, Kemmeren JM, Manger Cats V, Helmerhorst FM, Algra A, van der Graaf Y, Rosendaal FR. Oral contraceptives and the risk of myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 1787-1793.
- Meijers JCM, Tekelenburg WLH, Bouma BN, Bertina RM, Rosendaal FR. High levels of factor XI and the risk of venous thrombosis. N Engl J Med 2000; 342: 696-671.
- Van Hylckama Vlieg A, van de Linden IK, Bertina RM, Rosendaal FR. High levels of factor IX increase the risk of venous thrombosis. Blood 2000; 95: 3678-3682.
- Rosendaal FR. Venous thrombosis: multicausal disease. Lancet 1999; 353: 1167-1173.
- Bertina RM, Koeleman RPC, Koster T, Rosendaal FR, Dirven RJ, Ronde H de, Van der Velden PA, Reitsma PH. Mutation in blood coagulation factor V associated with resistance to activated protein C. Nature 1994; 369: 64-67.
Publicaties op PubMed van F.R. Rosendaal
Leids Universitair Medisch Centrum
2333 ZA Leiden
Tel: +31 71 526 4037
2300 RC Leiden