Plan S is an initiative for Open Access publishing, launched in September 2018. Plan S is supported by cOAlition S, an international consortium of research funders. Plan S requires that, from 2021, scientific publications resulting from research funded by public grants, such as NWO and ZonMw, must be published in compliant Open Access journals or platforms. See also the Walaeus WegWijzer Open Access
Compliance with Plan S:
To comply with Plan S, publications must meet three key requirements:
1. Immediate open access (no embargoes)
2. Full copyright retention for authors or their institutions
3. Open license (recommended CC BY 4.0)
There are three routes to compliance:
• Open Access publishing in journals or on platforms: authors publish in a Plan S compliant Open Access journal or on a Plan S compliant Open Access platform.
• Subscription venues (repository route): Immediately upon publication the final published version of a scholarly publication or an Author’s Accepted Manuscript (AAM) appears in a Repository.
• Transition of subscription venues (transformative arrangements): authors publish Open Access in a subscription journal under a transformative arrangement.
At the moment, Article Processing Charges of around 9.000 (mostly hybrid) journals, have already been paid by your library.
Plan S compliance
APCs already paid for 9.000 journals
More on Open Access
Where can I publish my article in Open Access without extra costs?
For more information, questions or assistance in regards to Open Access, contact: email@example.com .
For questions about Plan S contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.