The LUMC hiPSC Hotel offers the generation of research grade human induced pluripotent stem cells (hiPSCs) from different tissue sources using state of the art reprogramming techniques. The service includes isolation of somatic cells, reprogramming into hiPSCs and basic characterization of pluripotency and is free of charge for LUMC researchers. Costs apply for external parties. Our facility also offers support for hiPSC-based project planning, organizes an annual training course and provides validated protocols.
Service at a glance
- Isolation and banking of primary cells; mycoplasma testing
- Generation of hiPSCs with integrating or non-integrating reprogramming vectors
- Expansion of 6 hiPSC colonies (‘clones’) on Vitronectin XF and in TESR-E8 medium (Stem Cell Technologies)
- Banking of 6 hiPSC ‘clones’ at two passages (~ P4-6)
- Characterization of 3 hiPSC ‘clones’ : immunofluorescent staining of pluripotency markers (SSEA4, OCT3/4, Nanog) in undifferentiated hiPSCs; IF staining of CD31 (mesoderm), βIII-tubulin (ectoderm) and α-fetoprotein (endoderm) after spontaneous differentiation.
- DNA fingerprinting assay of somatic cells and the respective hiPSC line.
- Additional characterizations (e.g. karyotyping, PluriTest, ScoreCard) are available upon request (costs apply).
- Provision of ‘control’ hiPSCs (from individuals without a known genetic disease; various options concerning gender, age, reprogramming vector).
- Supply of differentiation protocols developed in the department of Anatomy & Embryology.
- Advice and support regarding hiPSC project planning, grant writing, assay development, collaborators etc.
What you need to start
- Human tissue/ cells with an appropriate informed consent which covers hiPSC research and commercial use if applicable (see lab resources)
- Per LUMC department: CME amendment for the LUMC umbrella protocol
- Project description: 1-2 A4 with general patient information (anonymized), mutation, disease phenotype (for internal use only), number of samples
- License reprogramming vectors (for commercial use only)