The Graduate School of Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC) offers medical and biomedical PhD students a highly reputed research environment, excellent infrastructure and supervision, and in-depth scientific and transferable skill courses jointly developed by Leiden University and LUMC. The Graduate School Office facilitates PhD admission, Supervision, and Course administrations for PhD students by means of the research management system Converis.
A PhD degree is an advanced research degree (Doctorate) awarded by Leiden University on the basis of a thesis and an oral examination. Your thesis must be a significant and substantial piece of research. You will conduct your research in one of the following Medical Research Profiles of LUMC:
- Vascular & Regenerative Medicine
- Immunity, Infections and Tolerance
- Translational Neurosciences
- Cancer Pathogenesis and Therapy
- Innovation in Health Strategy Quality of Care
- Biomedical Imaging
A PhD degree normally takes four years of research and thesis preparation. You will be required to officially defend your thesis before a committee consisting of (co)thesis advisor, thesis commitee, and other experts in the field.
Leiden University PhD regulations 2018
Lectures and courses
- Masterclass for design and analysis of clinical research. 12 participants will study epidemiology and statistics together, present their projects, and provide feedback to their colleagues. Prof. O. Dekkers and Prof. H. Putter will lead the meetings. If you are interested to participate, please contact the LUMC Association for PhD Candidates at LAP@lumc.nl.
- ReMaT research management workshop for early-stage researchers on 16 and 17 April 2018 in Hamburg. The modules of the workshop cover exploitation of knowledge and entrepreneurship, acquisition of grants, intellectual property rights and the management of interdisciplinary projects. They are delivered in such a way that it challenges participants to consider different perspectives on how they might use their PhD education in a variety of career paths, and convince others to hire them. 25 Places available, participation fee is 595 euro.
Available – Register now - UL courses for PhD students in 2018
Communication in Science, Competences and Motives, Effective communication for PhD’s, Job Interview skills, Time-management, Academic writing, Networking, Presentation skills, Project Management
How to enroll as a PhD student at LUMC
Qualifications: you must have a University Master's degree (MD or MSc) or equivalent. To enroll you must first find funding and a thesis advisor or secure a vacant PhD position in one of the above research profiles.
Tips and practical information: Free download! E-book: Top PhD Advice from Start to Defense and Beyond, Focus on The Netherlands with Universal Tips & Tricks.
Your window for an international scientific education
Prof. Pancras Hogendoorn, Dean