Area(s) of interest
- Image Processing in Pulmonology, Orthopaedics, Rheumatology and Ophthalmology
- Technical and Clinical Validation of Image Processing
- Quality Control and Standardization in Quantitative Computed Tomography
- Applications of Image Processing in Drug Evaluation Trials
Dr. Berend C. Stoel is Associate Professor at the Division of Image Processing, heading the section of Pulmonary, Musculoskeletal & Ophthalmologic Imaging (PMO) that focusses on image processing applications in these specific fields.
He obtained his MSc in medical informatics at the Leiden University, graduating in 1989 on histogram equalization in Chest X-rays and CT. He completed his PhD studies on objective assessment of X-ray image quality at the LUMC in 1996.
His main interests in musculoskeletal imaging are in the quantification of micro motion of endo-prostheses and automatic quantification of osteo- and rheumatoid arthritis in radiographs and MRI. In Pulmonology, his areas of expertise surround quantitative assessment of emphysema and fibrosis, automatic detection and assessment of pulmonary hypertension by quantification of the vascular tree using CT. In Ophthalmology, his main interests are in detecting anatomical/pathological structures within the eye, and quantifying their shape, from 7T MRI.
- KR Chapman, JGW Burdon, E Piitulainen, RA Sandhaus, N Seersholm, JM Stocks, B C Stoel, L Huang, Z Yao, JM Edelman, NG McElvaney Intravenous augmentation treatment and lung density in severe α1 antitrypsin deficiency (RAPID): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, the Lancet, 386(9991):360-8, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(15)60860-1 (2015).
- M. Staring, M. E. Bakker, J. Stolk, D. P. Shamonin, J. H. Reiber, and B. C. Stoel, "Towards local progression estimation of pulmonary emphysema using CT," Med Phys 41(2), 021905 (2014).
- Stoel BC, Bode F, Rames A, Soliman S, Reiber JH, Stolk j. Quality control in longitudinal studies with computed tomographic densitometry of the lungs. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 5(9):929-33 (2008)
- Stoel BC, Putter H, Bakker ME, Dirksen A, Stockley RA, Piitulainen E, Russi EW, Parr D, Shaker SB, Reiber JH, Stolk J. Volume Correction in Computed Tomography Densitometry for Follow-up Studies on Pulmonary Emphysema. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2008 Dec 15;5(9):919-24.
- Parr DG, Stoel BC, Stolk J, Stockley RA: Pattern of Emphysema Distribution in 1-antitrypsin Deficiency Influences Lung Function Impairment. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 170: 883-890 (2004)
- Dirksen A, Dijkman JH, Madsen F, Stoel B, Hutchison DC, Ulrik CS, Skovgaard LT, Kok-Jensen A, Rudolphus A, Seersholm N, Vrooman HA, Reiber JH, Hansen NC, Heckscher T, Viskum K, Stolk J: A randomized clinical trial of alpha(1)-antitrypsin augmentation therapy. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 160:1468-1472 (1999)
- Aizenberg E, Roex EAH, Nieuwenhuis WP, Mangnus L, van der Helm-van Mil AHM, Reijnierse M, Bloem JL, Lelieveldt BPF, Stoel BC: Automatic quantification of bone marrow edema on MRI of the wrist in patients with early arthritis: A feasibility study, Magn Reson Med. ,doi: 10.1002/mrm.26712 [ePub ahead of print] (2017)
- Kaptein BL, Valstar ER, Stoel BC, Rozing PM, Reiber JHC: A New Model-based RSA Method Validated using CAD Models and Models from Reversed Engineering, Journal of Biomechanics ; 36: 873-82 (2003)
- van 't Klooster R, Hendriks EA, Watt I, Kloppenburg M, Reiber JH, Stoel BC. Automatic quantification of osteoarthritis in hand radiographs: validation of a new method to measure joint space width. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. Jan;16(1):18-25 (2008)
- Prins AH., Kaptein BL, Stoel BC, Nelissen RG, Reiber JH, and Valstar ER. . Handling modular hip implants in model-based RSA: combined stem-head models. J.Biomech. 41:2912-2917 (2008)
- Beenakker JW, Shamonin DP, Webb AG, Luyten GP, Stoel BC: Automated retinal topographic maps measured with magnetic resonance imaging. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. Jan 15;56(2):1033-9 (2015)
- Stoel BC, Marquering HA, Staring M, Beenen LF, Slump CH, Roos YB, Majoie CB: Automated brain computed tomographic densitometry of early ischemic changes in acute stroke. J Med Imaging (Bellingham). Jan;2(1):014004 (2015)
- Landsmeer SH, Hendriks EA, de Weger LA, Reiber JH, Stoel BC. Detection of pollen grains in multifocal optical microscopy images of air samples. Microsc Res Tech. Jun;72(6):424-30. (2009)
- Stoel BC, Borman TM. A Comparison of Wood Density Between Classical Cremonese and Modern Violins. PLoS ONE;3:e2554 (2008)
- Assistant Editorial Board Investigative Radiology
- Reviewer for Lancet Respiratory Medicine, American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, European Respiratory Journal, Chest, Thorax, Critical Care in Medicine, Arthritis Care and Research, Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Medical Physics, Medical Image Analysis, IJCARS
- Member of Quantitative Imaging Biomarkers Alliance (QIBA), RSNA
- Consultant for Roche Pharmaceuticals, Talecris Biotherapeutics, CSL Behring, BioClinica Inc.
Leiden University Medical Center
2333 ZA Leiden
Tel: +31 (0)715261911
P.O. Box 9600
2300 RC Leiden