Meta Roestenberg is physician-scientist working as a scientist at the research laboratories of the department of Parasitology and as clinician within the department of Infectious Diseases. She studied Medicine at the University of Maastricht, where she obtained her medical degree cum laude in 2004. During her medical training she had the opportunity to follow internships in Africa and South-East Asia, where she became fascinated by infectious diseases. She returned to India for additional training several months after her graduation and then decided to dedicate her professional career to poverty related infectious diseases. She completed her PhD cum laude in 2013 at the department of Medical Microbiology of the Radboud University Medical Center where she developed a human model for malaria immunity. She was trained in internal medicine at the Radboud University Medical Center and the Canisius Wilhelmina Hospital, both in Nijmegen.
In 2014 she registered as Infectious Diseases specialist at the Leiden University Medical Center and was awarded a VENI grant from the Dutch Society for Scientific Research and a Gisela Thier fellowship in order to pursue translational research into the interaction between malaria parasites and the skin. She now leads a research group of translational scientists, investigating the efficacy of a genetically attenuated malaria vaccine and developing human models for Schistosoma mansoni and Necator americanus.
In the future, Meta will continue to focus on clinical translational vaccine research to fight infectious diseases that cause significant morbidity and mortality among the poorest people in the world.
- Roestenberg M*, Bijker EM*, Sim BK, Billingsley PF, James ER, Bastiaens GJ, Teirlinck AC, Scholzen A, Teelen K, Arens T, van der Ven AJ, Gunasekera A, Chakravarty S, Velmurugan S, Hermsen CC, Sauerwein RW, Hoffman SL. Controlled human malaria infections by intradermal injection of cryopreserved Plasmodium falciparum sporozoites. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2013 Jan;88(1):5-13.
- Teirlinck AC*, Roestenberg M*, van de Vegte-Bolmer M, Scholzen A, Heinrichs MJL, Siebelink-Stoter R, Graumans W, van Gemert GJ, TeelenK, Vos MW, Nganou-Makamdop K, Borrmann S, Rozier YPA, Erkens MAA, Luty AJF, Hermsen CC, SimBKL, van Lieshout L, Hoffman SL, Visser LG, Sauerwein RW. NF135.C10: a new Plasmodium falciparum clone for controlled human malaria infections. J Infect Dis. 2013 Feb 15;207(4):656-60.
- Nganou-Makamdop K, Ploemen I, Behet M, van Gemert GJ, Hermsen C, Roestenberg M, Sauerwein RW. Reduced Plasmodium berghei sporozoite liver load associates with low protective efficacy after intradermal immunization. Parasite Immunol. 2012 Dec;34(12):562-9.
- Roestenberg M, O'Hara GA, Duncan CJ, Epstein JE, Edwards NJ, Scholzen A, van der Ven AJ, Hermsen CC, Hill AV, Sauerwein RW. Comparison of clinical and parasitological data from controlled human malaria infection trials. PLoS One. 2012;7(6):e38434.
- Laurens MB, Duncan CJ, Epstein JE, Hill AV, Komisar JL, Lyke KE, Ockenhouse CF, Richie TL, Roestenberg M, Sauerwein RW, Spring MD, Talley AK, Moorthy VS; The Consensus Group on Design of Clinical Trials of Controlled Human Malaria Infection. A consultation on the optimization of controlled human malaria infection by mosquito bite for evaluation of candidate malaria vaccines. Vaccine. 2012 Aug 3;30(36):5302-5304
- Roestenberg M, de Vlas SJ, Nieman AE, Sauerwein RW, Hermsen CC. Efficacy of preerythrocytic and blood-stage malaria vaccines can be assessed in small sporozoite challenge trials in human volunteers. J Infect Dis. 2012 Aug;206(3):319-23.
- Roestenberg M, Teirlinck AC, McCall MB, Teelen K, Makamdop KN, Wiersma J, Arens T, Beckers P, van Gemert G, van de Vegte-Bolmer M, van der Ven AJ, Luty AJ, Hermsen CC, Sauerwein RW. Long-term protection against malaria after experimental sporozoite inoculation: an open-label follow-up study. Lancet. 2011 May 21;377(9779):1770-6.
- Sauerwein RW, Roestenberg M, Moorthy VS. Experimental human challenge infections can accelerate clinical malaria vaccine development. Nat Rev Immunol. 2011 Jan;11(1):57-64.
- Roestenberg M*, McCall M*, Hopman J, Wiersma J, Luty AJ, van Gemert GJ, van de Vegte-Bolmer M, van Schaijk B, Teelen K, Arens T, Spaarman L, de Mast Q, Roeffen W, Snounou G, Rénia L, van der Ven A, Hermsen CC, Sauerwein R. Protection against a malaria challenge by sporozoite inoculation. N Engl J Med. 2009 Jul 30;361(5):468-77.
- Roestenberg M, Remarque E, de Jonge E, Hermsen R, Blythman H, Leroy O, Imoukhuede E, Jepsen S, Ofori-Anyinam O, Faber B, Kocken CH, Arnold M, Walraven V, Teelen K, Roeffen W, de Mast Q, Ballou WR, Cohen J, Dubois MC, Ascarateil S, van der Ven A, Thomas A, Sauerwein R. Safety and immunogenicity of a recombinant Plasmodium falciparum AMA1 malaria vaccine adjuvanted with Alhydrogel, Montanide ISA 720 or AS02.PLoSOne. 2008;3(12):e3960.
All publications can be found at Google Scholar
Thesis: Experimental infection and protection against Plasmodium falciparum malaria in humans
Leids Universitair Medisch Centrum
2333 ZA Leiden
Tel: +31 71 526 4637
2300 RC Leiden